What is child benefit?

From 1 January 2019, every region in Belgium has its own child benefit system with different amounts and rules.

As a parent, you receive a monthly amount for the care and upbringing of your child(ren). In this way, the government wants to give families a financial boost.

What does the child benefit consist of?

The child benefit consists of:

If you don’t yet receive a child benefit for your child(ren),

MyFamily can take care of it for you. MyFamily already ensures a smooth, prompt and correct payment of the child benefit of 170.000 families. If you would like to be part of the MyFamily family, apply for your child benefit now.

The child benefit starts with your maternity allowance (or birth allowance)

We often say that a child costs the equivalent of a house. In order to build on solid foundations, the child benefit provides for a one-off birth allowance for each birth.

You can apply for maternity allowance (or birth allowance) during your pregnancy. We deposit the cash starting from two months before the calculated date of birth. If you have five minutes, you can easily apply for your birth allowance here.

Groeipakket; kinderbijslag, kindergeld

When am I entitled to child benefit?

You are unconditionally entitled to child benefit until your child reaches the age of 18. If your child is between 18 and 25, you may still receive child benefit under certain conditions.

What is my child benefit amount?

The amount depends on your specific situation. You will receive a certain amount, depending on the date of birth of your child(ren), your family situation and your family income. Here you will find an overview of all the amounts in the child benefit.

Would you like to know the amount you will receive? You can calculate your child benefit in just a few clicks with our child benefit calculator.

How do you apply for child benefit?

You can now choose who pays your child benefit yourself! In the past, your employer applied for child benefit. Now one of the parents has to submit the application. There are five payment institutions to choose from, which means you have to make a choice. We can help you get started by providing a comparison between all payment institutions.

On some occasions you receive your child benefit automatically; in others you will have to apply for it.

  • If you have you already applied for a maternity allowance, your child benefit will follow automatically. You no longer need to apply for it. If you are pregnant and have not yet applied for a maternity allowance, make sure to arrange it now.
  • Are you moving to Flanders with your children? In this case, you still need to submit a request. You can apply for your child benefit  online or you can easily arrange your application using this application form. Download and complete the application form and return it to us by e-mail via info@myfamily.be or by post: MyFamily, Brouwersvliet 4, Box 3, 2000 Antwerp.
Groeipakket, kinderbijslag, kindergeld

If you would like to be part of our MyFamily family, apply for your child benefit from MyFamily.

Who receives the child benefit?

The parents or foster parents receive the child benefit. However, if the parents are separated, a special arrangement applies. Read more about child benefit in the event of a separation. In exceptional cases, the child benefit is paid to the child, e.g. if they live alone.

When will your child benefit appear in your account?

You will receive your child benefit no later than the 8th of each month. The amount you receive is actually the child benefit from the previous month. Here is an example to clarify this: you will receive the amount for January by 8 February at the latest.

You will receive extra money in August: this is the annual school bonus to cover part of the school costs. Find out how much the school bonus is here.

If you would like to know when the money will appear in your account, you can find an overview below of the payments in 2021.

2021 payment calendar

MonthPayment date Child benefitPayment date Child care suppl.
January 20227 February 202222 February 2022
February 20227 March 202222 March 2022
March 20227 April 202220 April 2022
April 20225 May 202220 May 2022
May 20227 June 202221 June 2022
June 20227 July 202220 July 2022
July 20225 August 202220 August 2022
August 20227 September 202220 September 2022
September 20226 October 202220 October 2022
October 20227 November 202222 November 2022
November 20227 December 202220 December 2022
December 20225 January 202320 January 2023
Groeipakket, kinderbijslag, kindergeld

TIP: Like the child care allowance, other allowances in child benefit will not be in your account on the 8th of the month. If you would like an overview of all payments for the child benefit, click on the button opposite.

What are the differences between the various child benefit systems?

In January 2019, the federal government regionalised the child benefit. This means that Flanders, Wallonia, Brussels and the German-speaking Community of Belgium can each draw up their own child benefit scheme. It is therefore possible that each region will provide a different amount.

Flanders chose to convert the child benefit into a new scheme. Wallonia and Brussels have also each made changes. Here you will find an overview of all regional differences.

Any further questions

If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our child benefitcoaches will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

How do I receive a certificate of child benefit?

You can request a certificate from our child benefit coaches quickly and easily. You can do this by sending an e-mail to info@myfamily.be or by calling 03 221 08 11. Other ways  to contact us can be found here.

Where can I view my file?

If you have a Belgian identity card, you can log in to our online portal easily and securely. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for, contact one of our Groeipakket coaches, who will be happy to help you.

How do I change the account number to which you pay the child benefit?

It’s simple: just fill in a form with the details and return it to us. by e-mail via info@myfamily.be or by post: MyFamily, Brouwersvliet 4, Box 3, 2000 Antwerp. You can find the right form here:

  • You are the sole parent to receive the child benefit.
    If you would like to receive your child benefit payments in a bank account from now on, you can use this form.
  • You receive the child benefit jointly with the other parent.
    If you would like to receive your child benefit payments in a bank account from now on, you can use this form.
  • You live abroad and would like to receive your child benefit payments in a foreign account.
    Fill in this form and have it signed by your financial institution.

If you are not sure which form to use, ask our child benefit coaches, who will be happy to help you.

I would like to provide my new address. Where can I do that?

Generally speaking, you don’t have to do anything for this. Once the municipality has changed your address and the district agent has visited you, we will automatically receive this information via the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises.

If you are moving abroad or already live outside Belgium, please contact us. Together, we will find out what the consequences are for your child benefit.

I am moving to Wallonia, Brussels or abroad. Do I need to notify you of this?

If you leave Flanders together with your children, you are no longer entitled to receive child benefit.

If you are moving to another region in Belgium, MyFamily will forward your file to:

If you move abroad, you must comply with the applicable legislation.

Notify us in good time of your move. This will prevent any unpleasant recoveries or deductions from your child benefit abroad.

I just moved to Flanders. Am I entitled to child benefit?

Every child who lives in Flanders (and is domiciled there) is entitled to child benefit. Children without Belgian nationality must present valid proof of residence. Read more at www.myfamily.be/child-benefit/

My child lives in an institution. Who receives the child benefit?

If your child lives in an institution, we will pay 2/3of the child benefit for the child to the institution or agency responsible for the placement. We can pay the remainder (1/3rd of the amount) to the beneficiary/beneficiaries, a specific person, or a blocked account in the name of the child. This depends on the child’s situation. Based on the data received from the institution, your child benefit coach will take the necessary steps in your file.

If you have any questions about child benefit if a child lives in an institution, you can contact achild benefit coach.

My child has been placed in a foster family. Who receives the child benefit?

As the payment institution for your child benefit, MyFamily will inform foster care of the placement. If a child ends up in a foster family, the foster family receives the child benefit.

A foster child may also receive an extra care allowance. Read more about the foster care allowance.

Op de hoogte blijven over MyFamily? Meld je aan: