Are you entitled to the Groeipakket when following higher education?
Your child in education is entitled to Groeipakket up to the age of 25, provided that your son or daughter meets the following conditions:
- Your child is enrolled for at least 27 credits per academic year. These credits can be spread over different semesters, programs, educational institutions and countries. If the number of credits falls below this number during the academic year or if your child discontinues their studies, the Groeipakket will stop at the end of that month.
- If your child works during the school year, they must meet the so-called conditions for engaging in profitable activities. To find out more, simply click here.
There are 3 main exceptions:
- If your son or daughter is taking a doctorate, only the doctoral programme will count towards the 27 credits. Credits for writing the doctoral thesis are not included.
- If your child does not earn 27 credits in a qualification year1, you will keep your Groeipakket for 1 year per course cycle2.
- If your child is in higher vocational education, 13 class hours per week or at least 27 credits per academic year are sufficient to receive the Groeipakket.
1 A qualification year is an academic year in which your student child can obtain their qualification.
2 The course cycle consists of the necessary years of education or study to obtain a qualification (an associate, bachelor’s or master’s degree). Continued academic courses (for example for postgraduate degrees, second specialist bachelor’s degrees and specialist master’s degrees after a bachelor’s degree) do not make up a course cycle.
Higher education: When and for how long do you receive the Groeipakket?
- If your child is enrolled for at least 27 credits before 1 December, you will receive the Groeipakket during the entire academic year.
- If your child is enrolled for less than 27 credits before 1 December and still achieves the 27 credits after the following enrolment, you will receive the Groeipakket during the entire academic year.
- If your child is enrolled for at least 27 credits on or after 1 December, you will receive the Groeipakket from the month of the enrolment.
- If your child is enrolled for less than 27 credits on or after 1 December and still achieves the 27 credits after the following enrolment, you will receive the Groeipakket from the month of the first enrolment. The following example provides further clarification:
Pierre is 19 and wants to continue his studies after a 6-month trip around the world. On 2 January he enrols for 24 credits. In March he takes 2 extra courses, which means that he is now earning 33 credits. His mother Marie (48) will therefore receive the Groeipakket from January.