Is your son or daughter studying in a country that belongs to the European Economic Area?

In that case, MyFamily will first check whether that country’s government recognises your child’s course or a corresponding course. If that is not the case, your child must be taking at least 17 class hours per week in non-higher education or at least 13 class hours per week in higher education.

If this first condition is met, we will see how much time your child is spending abroad.

  • If your child returns home to Belgium every day, you are entitled to the Groeipakket.
  • If your student child does not return home every day, your entitlement will depend on the situation.
    • If your son or daughter is studying abroad with a scholarship or as part of a European project such as Erasmus, MyFamily will automatically receive this information. In other words, you will not have to do anything.
    • If your child is studying abroad without a scholarship and not as part of a European project, we will send you a form to fill in. We will check whether you are entitled to Groeipakket based on the information on the form.
Kindje komt kijken aan de deur_studying abroad

The countries belonging to the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Your child is studying in a country outside the European Economic Area.

Even then, you can receive your Groeipakket, provided that you can tick these 3 boxes:

  • Your student child remains enrolled in a Belgian education institution.
  • Your child is not entitled to Groeipakket via another scheme in or outside Belgium.
  • As a parent, you are not working in the country of your child’s studies, and neither is the person you are legally living with or forming an actual family unit with.
verlofdagen MyFamily - reiskoffer_studying abroad

MyFamily will then check whether you can receive the Groeipakket. Our actions will depend on your situation.

  • If your child is studying abroad with a scholarship or as part of a European project such as Erasmus, you will not have to do anything, because we will automatically receive all the information we need.
  • If your child already has a secondary education qualification and is now receiving non-higher education abroad, we will provide you with a form you need to fill in and return to us. In that case, you will receive the Groeipakket for up to 1 school year.

We also use this form if your child is attending higher education abroad.

Is your child studying in a country that Belgium has signed a family benefits treaty with?

In that case, you will continue to receive your Groeipakket in Belgium. Just let MyFamily know the country your student child is staying in, and we will provide you with the right form.

You’re not quite sure what to do?

Then don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to help you with any questions you may have. You can find our contact details on

Stay informed about MyFamily? Sign In: